Login | Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bug Documentation
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
Just wanted to let everyone know that Joel has been reading this thread. This is all Greek to me, but I didn't want y'all to think the dev team was ignoring you just because they're the silent nerdy types. ;)

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Another silent nerdy type nods in agreement...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:15 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Hey all! I just wanted to let you know this is now a resolved issue...

This is the first time I've logged in for a while, but I immediately noticed the SSL certificate (whoop!) aaaaand... the redirect. The forum software has some security settings that need to be configured for use with SSL, those have been updated accordingly.

Quote:
Chivalry: The humble, yet heroic attitude of selflessness, displayed by the performance of unselfish deeds, for unselfish reasons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sir Iarrthoir Criost wrote:
Hey all! I just wanted to let you know this is now a resolved issue...

This is the first time I've logged in for a while, but I immediately noticed the SSL certificate (whoop!) aaaaand... the redirect. The forum software has some security settings that need to be configured for use with SSL, those have been updated accordingly.

You are sweetheart! Thank you for your diligence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 pm 

Since the HTTPS-redirect bug was fixed (if not before, but in any case thank you for fixing that!), the forum feature that wouldn't let a reply be posted to a thread if someone else had done so since the user last viewed that thread without explicit approval seems to have stopped working. (Thus there's been some unintentional echoing going on in this thread, for example.)

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:39 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Thanks for the report!

I have been unable to replicate the issue whatsoever... Just to clarify, you are saying that someone will post while you are writing and you are not asked to verify if you would like to post?

Quote:
Chivalry: The humble, yet heroic attitude of selflessness, displayed by the performance of unselfish deeds, for unselfish reasons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:23 pm 

Just to clarify, you are saying that someone will post while you are writing and you are not asked to verify if you would like to post?

Yes. In the thread I linked, at least twice I clicked [reply with] "quote" on the bottommost post in the thread, wrote my reply, clicked "Submit," and was redirected to the thread, where I saw at least one other post between the post I was replying to and my reply.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

• Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:49 am 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Okay, thanks for the report! I’m going to continue trying to replicate the issue and see what I can do.

Quote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:19 pm 
Writer
Writer

For about 5 minutes just now, Holy Worlds completely shut down on me.

Error 502 Ray ID: 3c589661f90d58af • 2017-11-29 21:16:20 UTC
Bad gateway

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lady Sparks wrote:
For about 5 minutes just now, Holy Worlds completely shut down on me.

Error 502 Ray ID: 3c589661f90d58af • 2017-11-29 21:16:20 UTC
Bad gateway

I had Joel looked into it, and he said the master server restarted to install updates. Of course now he's grumbling because it wasn't supposed to "shut down the containers" with it, but you know. :roll: Thank you for reporting this and saving the error code! That's very helpful!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:35 pm 

When archiving a couple of threads today (i.e. using the moderation tools to move them to the Archive rooms), when the move completed, the browser tab got stuck on a blank page instead of redirecting to something that was recognizably HW. I tried manually refreshing (I mean "clicking on the URL bar and pressing Enter"), and got an error from that. I didn't think to save the URL or error the first time, but the second time, the URL was
Code:
https://holyworlds.org/fantasy/mcp.php?f=29&t=9821&quickmod=1&redirect=.%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D29%26t%3D9821&confirm_key=1J7XL3HHGF
and the error was
Code:
Fatal error: Class 'mcp_' not found in /home/holyworlds/public_html/fantasy/includes/functions_module.php on line 465

• My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kingjon wrote:
When archiving a couple of threads today (i.e. using the moderation tools to move them to the Archive rooms), when the move completed, the browser tab got stuck on a blank page instead of redirecting to something that was recognizably HW. I tried manually refreshing (I mean "clicking on the URL bar and pressing Enter"), and got an error from that. I didn't think to save the URL or error the first time, but the second time, the URL was
Code:
https://holyworlds.org/fantasy/mcp.php?f=29&t=9821&quickmod=1&redirect=.%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D29%26t%3D9821&confirm_key=1J7XL3HHGF
and the error was
Code:
Fatal error: Class 'mcp_' not found in /home/holyworlds/public_html/fantasy/includes/functions_module.php on line 465

Brought this to Joel's attention. Thank you so much!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:09 am 

With the browser I prefer to use for links in notification emails, which I admit is not the most compliant (I have to use a "Git live" version to get SNI support, which I need to read HW over HTTPS at all, for example ...), the links in notification emails (of the form https://holyworlds.org:443/fantasy/viewtopic.php?f=FORUM&t=TOPIC&p=POST&e=NONCE) redirect to the URL https://holyworlds.org:443/fantasy/https:///, which is of course rendered as a 404 "page not found" page. If I manually remove the :443 from the URL, everything works fine. Since AFAIK "port 443" is supposed to be the default for the HTTPS protocol, can links in notification emails omit the port number?

(I also note that the "go back to the homepage" link on the 404 page is to http://www.holyworlds.org; if I were in charge of it, I would make it either always HTTPS or matching the protocol the visitor came in on.)

(Oh, and It Would Be Nice :) if there were a BBCode tag in the palette above this post-edit box that would give me a monospace effect with at least a little more visual distinction than "font=monospace", but that would be inline, unlike the "code" tag.)

• My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kingjon wrote:
With the browser I prefer to use for links in notification emails, which I admit is not the most compliant (I have to use a "Git live" version to get SNI support, which I need to read HW over HTTPS at all, for example ...), the links in notification emails (of the form https://holyworlds.org:443/fantasy/viewtopic.php?f=FORUM&t=TOPIC&p=POST&e=NONCE) redirect to the URL https://holyworlds.org:443/fantasy/https:///, which is of course rendered as a 404 "page not found" page. If I manually remove the :443 from the URL, everything works fine. Since AFAIK "port 443" is supposed to be the default for the HTTPS protocol, can links in notification emails omit the port number?

(I also note that the "go back to the homepage" link on the 404 page is to http://www.holyworlds.org; if I were in charge of it, I would make it either always HTTPS or matching the protocol the visitor came in on.)

I can promise you that 99% of what you're experiencing is the result of many already known bugs. I'd be very reluctant to find a way to remove port 443 from the URI because it might just break something else. I believe it's a configuration option and someone set it to put a bandage on a different problem.

And the "go back to homepage" problem is likely from before we even made HTTPS a thing on this site and most of the links were being hardcoded, in fact, I can guarantee that.

Anyways, I'll see what I can do once I can find the time. It will likely require we escalate the site upgrades.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:03 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

I believe the port should now be all set, please let me know if otherwise. For some reason phpBB was configured to think that that the web server was running on another port, so it was trying to enforce port 443.

The only place URI’s are hard coded are in the error pages and more or less the Anduin bar. Everything else is templated by phpBB.

The error pages are all raw code and apart from the phpBB application. This would be a very easy fix to initiate, though really, I recommend we be redirecting all traffic to SSL.

Quote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The only place URI’s are hard coded are in the error pages and more or less the Anduin bar. Everything else is templated by phpBB.

The error pages are all raw code and apart from the phpBB application. This would be a very easy fix to initiate, though really, I recommend we be redirecting all traffic to SSL.

Actually, there is more site content using non-SSL than I think you're giving it credit. Particularly there's a lot of hard-coded URLs for resource files and it's causing HW to fail the Chrome HTTPS validation. So your fix works for now but we're going to have to eventually do more if we want to make SSL the standard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:48 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Are you talking resources such as images, scripts, etc. loaded relatively? If you have a site wide redirect to SSL, that’s gonna be a non-issue.

Quote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you talking resources such as images, scripts, etc. loaded relatively? If you have a site wide redirect to SSL, that’s gonna be a non-issue.

Yes, I am. However, I disagree. Chrome will still identify that the URLs are hardcoded using non-SSL, regardless if the server is redirecting or not. Besides, redirects lag loads and put more work load on the server. As kingjon said, the URL should be coded using the protocol the visitor came in on - this is conventional web design. And this should be the preferred method as to future proof the website for whatever new protocols are one-day introduced.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:20 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Joel, this is basic web developement. The phpBB URIs are not hard coded with a protocol (in this case because they are relative) hence the browser tries to load it first over the current protocol. Because you are not forcing users to SSL (one could go to http://holyworlds.org/fantasy over an insecure connection) the browser is not being redirected, hence they are getting loaded insecurely.

Further, the browser will cache redirects, especially the permanent one an insecure to secure redirect should be.

We don’t want anyone coming in here over an insecure connection, period. Let’s get a permanent redirect up, why wouldn’t we?

Quote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Joel, on further research, there are only two items being loaded insecurely and these are the before mentioned Anduin resources (found in the Anduin bar CSS) and Anduin bar code.

This is a really simple fix. I don't have access to HW web files anymore, but can guide you if necessary.

I'd still advise you to put up a permanent redirect from http to https on all of HW.

Quote:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next