Login | Register

Post subject: Writing Resolutions anyone? (2018 edition)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:45 am 

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
This is in some sense a continuation of an earlier thread that Caeli started on December 31, 2016, to discuss our various writerly goals and resolutions and help keep each other accountable. (And there have been similar threads in past years, that I don't want to take the time to dig out of the Archives to link to :))

Anyway, this thread is for us to let our fellow Holy Worlders know what we're planning or hoping to accomplish in 2018, so that they can help keep us accountable and making progress as the year goes on, by poking this thread or sending PMs.

(Edit: Lady Elanor has started a thread in General Discussion for resolutions and goals more generally, including not-writing-related ones.)

I'll start us off with my goals for the year that are at least tangentially relevant here :). As in the past several years, I originally posted these on my blog (though the post with non-Shine-Cycle, non-Strategic-Primer ones isn't "scheduled" to go "live" until Saturday).

My first several goals have to do with The Invasion, which was one of my two main projects this past year, as I decided to for the first time focus on one story at a time instead of working a little bit on each story and then moving to the next. I recently finished expanding its main outline to the "by scene" level. (My methodological innovation this year was to make time estimates of all my tasks and slot them into a very limited week-by-week time budget to make my goals more reasonable.)

• Finish the "detailed synopsis" that is Step 9 of the "snowflake method."
  • Adjust the main outline and all synopses created in the "snowflake method" to all agree.
  • Get at least half-way through, or 50,000 words into, my new draft of The Invasion. (With a "stretch goal" to finish it.)

If I finish my draft of The Invasion, I have an additional "stretch goal" to get "snowflake step 4" of The Adventure of the Royal Wedding to at least Step 4.

I also have several goals relating to worldbuilding and not-story-specific character development:

• Write at least ten character biographies or histories
  • Create "character loglines" or "motivation summaries" for at least fifteen characters.
  • Complete the "race fractalling system" (described in a thread or series of threads now in the Archives here on HW!) for elves.
  • Complete the "race fractalling system" for dwarves.

And I want to keep my blog showing some signs of life:

• Post at least twelve Shine Cycle-related posts (not including writing status updates, year-end retrospectives, and the like; including posts already scheduled, but not including new posts scheduled for 2019) to [my] blog. ("Stretch goal": eighteen.)
  • Post at least one Shine Cycle-related blog post (with the same restrictions) every month

My other major writing project this past year was my second poetry collection, now titled Dreams and Prayers: Verses from a Wandering Mind. (Which could still use more beta readers :))

• Obtain a cover, either by commissioning an artist or designing it myself. (If you're an artist who does covers, I resurrected the "Book Cover Mockups" thread in hopes someone would have an idea :))
  • Revise and polish (or consider and decide to let stand as is) each and every poem in Dreams and Prayers
  • Find at least one suitable illustration for each and every poem in Dreams and Prayers
  • Write all necessary prose sections for Dreams and Prayers
  • Finish and polish typesetting/layout of Dreams and Prayers on each "platform" on which it will be published.

I also have some goals related to more miscellaneous writing:

• Finish the second and third entries in my planned blog series on the LaTeX typesetting system, on using it for poetry and for recipes, respectively.
  • In my series of blank-verse Psalm settings, get through at least Psalm 21 (I'm currently working on Psalm 17)
  • "Write" at least 12 posts in my "Hymns" series, highlighting "great, old, hymns."
  • Post at least one post in my "Hymns" series every month.
  • Write reviews of at least 3 "recently" read books.
  • Respond to each letter or email (or HW thread or PM :)) that needs a response within three weeks.
  • Write keeping-in-touch emails to my short list of particular correspondents on their birthdays and anniversaries and the most important holidays.
  • After each trimester, assess progress and note any necessary amendments to goals in a blog post.

And one more goal that's worth mentioning here:
  • In my (long-procrastinated) critique pass through Peter's Angel, get through Page 320. (Stretch goal: finish.)

Now it's your turn: what are your goals for 2018, everyone?

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Writing Resolutions anyone? (2018 edition)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:56 am 
Writer
Writer

Treating this as a Year of Jubliee; it's been a while since I didn't set lots of goals and expectations.

For those who don't know of Simon Sinek, I strongly encourage you to look at some of his videos. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA, http://99u.com/videos/20272/simon-sinek ... s-eat-last)

The Babe and I are working through "Finding Your Why". It is interesting to see how I think come out in the books even without thinking about it. As I work through the "Why" process I'm honing my schedule and plans for the year. My goals are big, but pretty loose and specific.

1. Revise TDW 1429.1. [1st quarter of the year]
2. Send out the revision to beta readers. Contact agents. Build platform [ 2nd Quarter]
3. Shoot Steel Challenge matches.
4. Build health infrastructure with taiji and walking.
5. Use "I'm doing research" as an excuse to learn a few fun things this year. :P

No idea what will come of trying to sell the first book. I've mentioned the "tribe" thing elsewhere and those who join in will help us blaze a trail to some place better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
These are all some impressive goals! :D

I'll have to ponder this. My writing life will be complicated for at least the first half of 2018... I do have my ghostwriting project to finish, and more potentially on the horizon, and of course I want to continue with Peter's Angel (even if I'm okay with that being a slow process) and republishing Red Rain (I should have all the new covers by the end of January). We'll be publishing one or two books through Penoaks as well.

But ultimately I'll need to focus the first quarter of 2018 at work, with my new promotion and talks of getting moved to another store. So, for now I'm just going to make an effort to squeeze in writing time a few times a week to keep myself in balance, and see where 2018 goes.

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:12 pm 

Domici wrote:
For those who don't know of Simon Sinek, I strongly encourage you to look at some of his videos. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZoJKF_VuA, http://99u.com/videos/20272/simon-sinek ... s-eat-last).

Thanks for sharing these!

Lt. General Hansen wrote:
We'll be publishing one or two books through Penoaks as well.

I'll be waiting to see further details about this :)

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:26 pm 
Captain
Captain

My writing goals for 2018 unless something unforeseen happens:
o Publish 2 novellas, 1 short story, and 4 novels
o Research WWI
o Research Bible times
o Write 200,000 words
o Market better
o Author talk(s) at library
o Book signing?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:49 am 
Captain
Captain

I'm participating in Pitch Wars this year. So, I have until August, more or less, to write an entire novel and complete multiple drafts. That's my goal. I will also blog more regularly and establish a professional social media presence.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Varon wrote:
I'm participating in Pitch Wars this year. So, I have until August, more or less, to write an entire novel and complete multiple drafts. That's my goal. I will also blog more regularly and establish a professional social media presence.

:shock: :cool: :dieshappy: :book:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 am 
Captain
Captain

Varon wrote:

Thank you for that profound encouragement. :cool:

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Varon wrote:
Varon wrote:

Thank you for that profound encouragement. :cool:

<nods sagely>

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:42 am 
Captain
Captain

Now who's the taciturn one?

Offline Profile