Login | Register

Post subject: New Year Resolutions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:24 pm 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
So any of you guys have new year resolutions made, whether writing-related or not?

I have struggled with my health the latter part of this year. I'm going to have some blood tests taken tomorrow, maybe we'll get to the bottom of what's wrong, but I really want to have a healthy year. Eat healthy, exercise. Really cliche, I know, but I really want to be sure that I'm looking after myself properly!

I started writing again last year; I haven't written for quite a while, but this book seems to be flowing nicely. I'd like to persevere with it, even if it ends up just being for my own enjoyment.

Might add more later, but those are my first two for now!

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: New Year Resolutions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:45 pm 
Captain
Captain

Are you a published author?: Yes
I make goals rather than resolutions, but I have quite a few:

Piano
Etude op. 10 no. 12
Beethoven Sonata #7
Perfect multiple hymn arrangements

Exercise/Fitness
Exercise Bike – 3 times per week
Walk with Bill – 1-2 times per week
Get to 130 pounds by the end of summer (140 if pregnant)

Writing
Publish 2 novellas, 1 short story, and 4 novels
Research WWI
Research Bible times
Write 200,000 words
Market better
Author talk(s) at library
Book signing?

Bible Study
Romans
Psalms 1-12
1 & 2 Peter
Christmas prophecies and fulfillments

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've not broken my long-term dreams/ideals into tangible goals yet, but here's some of the big things I want to work on:

--Consistently writing (I don't so much have a specific book I want to publish, although I want to make progress on Peter's Angel--I'm moreso looking at maintaining a lifestyle of consistent writing, even if it's not for profit.)

--Resuming music practice

--Work-life balance (Consistently reading, consistently taking "time off," consistently having social time, consistently spending time with hubby, etc.)

Regarding music, although the only instrument I know is piano, I really want to learn something more portable. However, since we do have a piano, I am considering resuming it and logging how many times I practice. Once I reach a certain amount, I can consider buying a new instrument. :)

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 am 

Sex: Male
I listed my writing-related goals for the year in the thread I created in Quests, though I didn't intend for that thread to be for just "writing goals." Some of my other goals that might be of interest here (there's a more complete list on my blog):

• Type all of the (deteriorating-into-smudges, I recently discovered) college class notes that are still only in notebooks.
  • For my "paper-clearing" process under the general heading of "uncluttering," in which I've divided papers into "packets" to make progress quantifiably measurable, "consider and deal with" at least 22 "packets."
  • In listening to downloaded sermons, catch up to at least only one year behind.
  • Read all recently-acquired books (from Christmas and my birthday mostly) that I haven't already
  • Type all marginal notes from my Bible that I've now replaced through at least Ecclesiastes
  • Develop at least two computer programs, web apps, or mobile apps that serve some real-world need and can serve as "portfolio pieces." (Any ideas?)
  • Read the Bible through at least once

"Get a job" is a high-importance objective, but while I'm working on that as best I know how, there's no quantifiable, measurable, tractable intermediate step(s) that I can make a "goal."

(And I'm now wondering whether setting goals for a year at a time is really such a good idea, since I tend to forget them, except when it comes time to check up on them. :))

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:30 pm 
Writer
Writer

Quote:
Develop at least two computer programs, web apps, or mobile apps that serve some real-world need and can serve as "portfolio pieces." (Any ideas?)

Lots. Where's your github repo? That's Step he First. What itches do you really really want to scratch? That's Step the Second. What field do you want to be in (webdev, appdev, systems programming) That's Step the Third and probably deeply related to Step the Second.

From there it is easy. You WANT to code in a field you ENJOY. Coding is a drag, really, unless you're doing what you want. Survey the languages of that domain, learn that language. Learn Git and TDD. If you can already code well enough to join a project, find one you ENJOY and join. Otherwise learn to code enough to get that good.

Look on Dice.com for job descriptions that match what you want to do. See what all they require. Often, besides the language proper are things like git, a scripting language like Ruby or Python, some database and front end stuff. Find at least one thing from each of those types and learn the basics.

My itch is keeping track of characters for games and fiction. Especially since they go back and forth and I'm often dealing with characters in two different eras. Sometimes three. I'm using Ruby, adding some MongoDB, have it all in a github repo, and collaborate with others on Python stuff.

Quote:
"Get a job" is a high-importance objective, but while I'm working on that as best I know how, there's no quantifiable, measurable, tractable intermediate step(s) that I can make a "goal."

On the contrary, there are specific things you can do. Here's what I do when I'm job-searching.

Quote:
(And I'm now wondering whether setting goals for a year at a time is really such a good idea, since I tend to forget them, except when it comes time to check up on them. :))

Okay, let me set the tone of my comments. Imagine us chatting as friends with a mug of hot cocoa, tea, wine, beer, or whatever. Internet conversations can often seem harsher than intended, and this is meant to help a friend.

If you don't plan your week by your goals then you don't have goals. You've got "wants". No issue with having wants, but they are not goals. So, chuck your entire list. Drop everything.

Spend two weeks praying, meditating, and seeking. What has God crafted you for? Don't do anything on your list. Eat, pray, spend time with friends and family. Clear your head and heart.

After two weeks you MAY be ready to listen. MAY is the operative word. It usually takes me three or four weeks if I'm on the ball. Sometimes it's taken me months, and I'm being nice to myself on that. I have to clear my head of things I have put there; expectations from others, drives based on my past, coping mechanisms for my weaknesses. Like the man said, you must empty your cup before it can be filled.

Eventually God will speak to you. Either accompanied by trumpets and fanfare, a word from the Word, a word from a friend, or a passion that just won't go away. That is the spark to feed. Nothing else. When you think you have it, meditate on it some more. Ask friends and family for their opinion. Disregard most of their responses but one or two shared thoughts will ring that bell.

Now make your list. It can be EXACTLY ONE ITEM long. That's your goal. EXACTLY ONE ITEM.

The next list is the steps to get to the goal. Everything else is just a want that you don't spend time on until your goal path steps are accomplished for the day.

That will make 2018 awesome for you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:50 pm 
Writer
Writer

An addendum, lest I not communicate well. If you look at the five items on my list for the 2018 goals, there is but one goal behind all of them: "Take TDW.1429.1 to market." Revising, building a platform, improving my health, even shooting all support that one goal. I just break things down into a plan, and realize I can only plan so far. An agent might send me a million bucks after the first read. Or I may pursue self-publishing. Will figure that out as I go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:20 pm 
Writer
Writer

Since 2017 was the year I resolved not to make any New Years resolution, and I was able to achieve that ...

... I decided this year, I was going to resolve to cure cancer and bring world peace (but I won't promise that it will last for more than 3.5 years*).

* [Don't you just love cryptic references to Revelation!]

Offline Profile