Login | Register

Post subject: Christian Pulp Fiction?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Glancing on Amazon is always a risky business. I saw "How to write pulp fiction" and wondered if it could be done from a Christian point of view. Started reading more and don't see any reason it can't be done.

According to the author, pulp fiction is:
    Plot centric
    Fast paced
    Easy to read

It also has
    Colorful character
    Snappy dialogue
    Intriguing places

My original expectation of needing "heaving bosoms" and all that seems to be incorrect. Folks have said they like my female characters and most of them are not defined solely by their physical shape.

Thoughts? Would you be interested in a Christian based Pulp Fiction?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Christian Pulp Fiction?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:50 pm 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: Yes
I have always liked Pulp fiction. Most of it is rather terrible and a lot is just not fit to read though. Some of my favorite pulp writers would be Edgar Rice Burroughs, H Rider Haggard, Louis L'Amour, Robert E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft.

A lot of these writers while having some rather ridiculous plots managed to still write some really good prose.

My only published work is a Pulp Fantasy Western. https://www.amazon.com/Pursuer-Joe-Clem ... oe+clemons

Filmmaker, artist, world builder extraordinaire!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
My opinion is that, if there's an established genre out there, Christians should be "reclaiming that territory" for Christ. It may take some creativity to fit within the genre lines while still promoting our values, but it almost always can be done with good skill. More Christian writers should be doing this, so yes, please, go for it!

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:46 am 
Captain
Captain

In a lot of ways, after being involved in the New Pulp movement and writing some of it, I feel that the genre has evolved into the modern thriller novel. It has the same elements and tendency for high intensity, plot-centric books, albeit modernized.

In that case, I would say that Christian pulp fiction already exists, as we have Christian thrillers. Are they much good? Well, that's up for debate. ;) Either way, there's nothing stopping us from writing them and writing them better.

"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:58 pm 
Writer
Writer

Varon wrote:
In a lot of ways, after being involved in the New Pulp movement and writing some of it, I feel that the genre has evolved into the modern thriller novel. It has the same elements and tendency for high intensity, plot-centric books, albeit modernized.

In that case, I would say that Christian pulp fiction already exists, as we have Christian thrillers. Are they much good? Well, that's up for debate. ;) Either way, there's nothing stopping us from writing them and writing them better.

Fuse of Armageddon is an excellent thriller about "Christian" extremists trying to initiate - well, you know... (Bonus points for referencing the Incredibles...)

I just used the one-in-a-million chance, so we're out of that too. - Trajectory

Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford

Unless we do the good that we could, we will neither see, nor ever be, what we should. - K.L.B.

Could smoke from the grill be indicative of razing the steaks?

Nah, I'm not special. Or I wasn't, and I didn't end up being the kind of special I wanted. That's...okay. I guess. - Andy Bridger

"I’ve grown up with them. (Dynamics, I mean. Not pandas.)" - Trajectory

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:27 am 
Writer
Writer

Hey Doodle.

There's a lot of difference between TDW Book 1 and Book 2. Folks who have read both prefer Book 2 due to more conflict and adventure. Much better structured, too. I'm editing major sections of Book 1 to bring the conflict to the fore without lessoning the characterizations. We'll see how it goes.

Offline Profile