Login | Register

Post subject: Re: NaNo, anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:04 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
You guys are doing fabulously! I'm way behind (I just hit 5,000 words), but I've been adding to my word count every day, and that feels really good after having a story idea for three years and not writing at all. So, I call it a win! It's good to be actually writing instead of just thinking about it. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Alias Ember wrote:
You guys are doing fabulously! I'm way behind (I just hit 5,000 words), but I've been adding to my word count every day, and that feels really good after having a story idea for three years and not writing at all. So, I call it a win! It's good to be actually writing instead of just thinking about it. :)

Sounds like you're already winning; high word count is just icing on the cake!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:03 pm 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: Yes
Alias Ember wrote:

I don't know about WAY behind. I am at 5457 words. Which is only an issue if the goal of 50,000 words by November 30 is what matters to me (it is not). At 418 words a day, I can still reach 50,000 words by February 28, 2018. :D

... but I don't think this will be a 50,000 word book. When it is finished, I stop writing and it is, however many words it is. Let's face it, just writing is fun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:45 pm 
Writer
Writer

atpollard wrote:
... but I don't think this will be a 50,000 word book. When it is finished, I stop writing and it is, however many words it is. Let's face it, just writing is fun.

This. <3 My hubby is rather baffled but that's ok. I'm a bit baffled at how much time he spends pokemoning. To each his own! :D

Oh - and the best thing happened. I had an epiphany yesterday for making my story a bit more unique. And I was running over the synopsis with my sister, who's one of my best brainstorming partners. My 13-year-old daughter came through the room, overheard and interrupted to ask, "What book is this you're reading? I want to read it too!" :dieshappy: And now she's champing at the bit for me to finish it. Quite a contrast to last weeks reaction of, "Mom's writing again... :roll:"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lady Sparks wrote:
atpollard wrote:

This. <3 My hubby is rather baffled but that's ok. I'm a bit baffled at how much time he spends pokemoning. To each his own! :D

Oh - and the best thing happened. I had an epiphany yesterday for making my story a bit more unique. And I was running over the synopsis with my sister, who's one of my best brainstorming partners. My 13-year-old daughter came through the room, overheard and interrupted to ask, "What book is this you're reading? I want to read it too!" :dieshappy: And now she's champing at the bit for me to finish it. Quite a contrast to last weeks reaction of, "Mom's writing again... :roll:"

I love this! I'm so happy for y'all. :D

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:40 am 
Writer
Writer

atpollard wrote:
I don't know about WAY behind. I am at 5457 words. Which is only an issue if the goal of 50,000 words by November 30 is what matters to me (it is not). At 418 words a day, I can still reach 50,000 words by February 28, 2018. :D

Writing is fun. A lot of work, too. But it is amazing when these ideas that have been in your head who knows how long are finally there on the page (or in my case screen) in front of you. It's one of the most satisfying things I know. Why did it take me this long to find that out? :)

Lady Sparks wrote:

That is fantastic, truly the best! Way to go! :dieshappy:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:08 pm 
Writer
Writer

Math and work load suggest I'm not going to make 50,000 since the story I'm writing isn't exactly the one that was written. Kinda bummed, kinda happy. Not sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:31 pm 
Writer
Writer

As of Wednesday, my nano has been completely derailed. My kiddo got her first case ever of head lice. D: It's been days of laundry and combing and treatments ever since. I had no idea how difficult it is to get rid of this stuff and she can't go back to school if the nurse can find 3 nits. I'm hoping we're almost through it and I'll be able to start trying to catch up in the next day or two. :bawl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:26 pm 
Writer
Writer

Lady Sparks wrote:
As of Wednesday, my nano has been completely derailed. My kiddo got her first case ever of head lice. D: It's been days of laundry and combing and treatments ever since. I had no idea how difficult it is to get rid of this stuff and she can't go back to school if the nurse can find 3 nits. I'm hoping we're almost through it and I'll be able to start trying to catch up in the next day or two. :bawl:

Been there, done that.

Our daughter was getting lice from her school so often that we started to become concerned about the frequency of chemical treatments. Research turned up Cetaphil Moisturizer as a safe lice treatment. (You can google it). It works as well as the other treatments. We also found Teatree oil added to the shampoo bottle worked well at keeping lice from returning from any other students at school.

Long thick hair, lots of combing and piles of blankets and sheets and pillows to wash was no fun. You have my sympathy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:46 pm 
Writer
Writer

atpollard wrote:
Been there, done that.

Our daughter was getting lice from her school so often that we started to become concerned about the frequency of chemical treatments. Research turned up Cetaphil Moisturizer as a safe lice treatment. (You can google it). It works as well as the other treatments. We also found Teatree oil added to the shampoo bottle worked well at keeping lice from returning from any other students at school.

Long thick hair, lots of combing and piles of blankets and sheets and pillows to wash was no fun. You have my sympathy.

We found something called Licefreee! that's a bit more natural than some of the other products. And the whole family is using a shampoo called Fairy Tales Rosemary Rid with teatree oil and some other oils. Plus OGX Tea Tree Mint Shampoo. (double shampoos to be extra cautious) I think we're through the worst of it but I'll have to re-treat Wednesday or Friday since they say to redo it 7-10 days later.

On the plus side, she got inspired by all my talk about nanowrimo and all the writing I was doing. So guess how she's been passing the time every time I sit her down to be combed? Writing her own story! It's in the first person and told in alternating viewpoints between 4 best friends (who are all boys). And it's a scifi dystopian about the government shutting down all the schools and turning them into labs to create hybrid creatures like turtle alligators and dandelion hedgehogs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:44 am 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

This is only my third year doing NaNo, but so far it's been the hardest.

I think it's getting better, though. I'm rewriting scenes (but not cutting out the others, to keep the words), so it's working better now, but some days I'm still struggling to squeeze out words. :rofl:

BUT, I'm loving it. This story has been on my mind for a long time, and I'm enjoying it. It's fun to make my MCs squirm and be entirely out their elements.

To all y'all struggling too (and to those who might not): You got this. Even if you do 10 words or 1,000 or all the way the 50k, those words weren't there before, but now they are. And THAT is awesome.

In the homestretch, people! We can do it!

That's what we storytellers do. We restore order with imagination. We instill hope again and again.
-Saving Mr. Banks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lady Sparks wrote:
atpollard wrote:
Been there, done that.

We found something called Licefreee! that's a bit more natural than some of the other products. And the whole family is using a shampoo called Fairy Tales Rosemary Rid with teatree oil and some other oils. Plus OGX Tea Tree Mint Shampoo. (double shampoos to be extra cautious) I think we're through the worst of it but I'll have to re-treat Wednesday or Friday since they say to redo it 7-10 days later.

On the plus side, she got inspired by all my talk about nanowrimo and all the writing I was doing. So guess how she's been passing the time every time I sit her down to be combed? Writing her own story! It's in the first person and told in alternating viewpoints between 4 best friends (who are all boys). And it's a scifi dystopian about the government shutting down all the schools and turning them into labs to create hybrid creatures like turtle alligators and dandelion hedgehogs.

A creative mind will always invent a silver lining. :D I got head lice once, as a child. It is literally the worst!

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:05 am 
Writer
Writer

Lady Sparks wrote:

Dandelion hedgehogs! :rofl: Very tame for a scifi dystopian government; I like it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:30 pm 
Writer
Writer

So, Nano is over, but the writing continues! I wrote 15,000 words, and I consider that a huge success (Shh... I know the goal is 50,000), but more than the word count, doing Nano has given me a huge enthusiasm for writing my story! And I'm super excited for when I can share it with you all! :D (February 8th, here we come!) Thanks, guys, for roping me in to this!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:52 pm 
Writer
Writer

Way to go Alias Ember! Looking forward to reading it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:24 pm 
Writer
Writer

I managed about 19,000 because of "the incident." But it's been a lot of fun and very freeing to just chug along and not worry about making sure things are perfect. To give vague descriptions and say, I'll go back and add better descriptions later or, I'll need to develop the secondary characters and side plots better later, and just keep going. I'm hoping to resume things now that things have settled a little and hopefully have my first rough draft done by Christmas. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:37 pm 
Writer
Writer

I like the *idea* of NaNo, but prefer to write a little bit slower. The pace of "Ought Five and One Two Three" was just about right. Tinny and Marine might go slower as I'm doing both at the same time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:47 pm 
Writer
Writer

It's funny that when I was writing and updating my word count, NaNo kept telling me that at this rate I would reach 'my goal' by February something 2018. I wasn't aiming for 50,000 words, so it wasn't "MY goal" in any sense, but I remember thinking ... "What's wrong with finishing before March 1, 2018? Was there any particular reason it neeeded to be done sooner?"

To quote Dory: "Just keep swimming." :)
[That's what life is all about.]

Offline Profile