Login | Register

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bug Documentation
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:49 am 

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
A (subscribed-topic reply, if it matters) notification email I received in the last hour or so (from what I gather is the new address for these?) had Content-Type header set to "text/html" despite its content being unchanged from previous messages, which had been accurately labeled "text/plain." This caused my email client (both Gmail, which I was using at first, and then Alpine when I investigated further) to run all eight (counting the "signature"), nicely (no line longer than 80 characters) formatted, paragraphs together into one long line.

We, or the dev team, can discuss whether notification emails should be plain text or HTML (I would argue that plain-text should be at least an option ...), but at the very least the Content-Type header should accurately describe the content.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:00 am 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Jon, thank you for the well researched bug report. I entirely agree with your analysis and I will pass this on to Joel, who has been making updates to the mail system.

Thanks!
Aidan

Quote:
Chivalry: The humble, yet heroic attitude of selflessness, displayed by the performance of unselfish deeds, for unselfish reasons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem with e-mails should be fixed now. It was a simple content-type problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:01 pm 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
Is there any particular reason all people can reply to locked posts?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:17 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

Miss Elizabeth wrote:

One reason that comes to mind would be... it's a bug! :) Are there any examples you can send my way?

Thanks!

Quote:
Chivalry: The humble, yet heroic attitude of selflessness, displayed by the performance of unselfish deeds, for unselfish reasons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:15 am 
Writer
Writer

Sir Iarrthoir Criost wrote:
Miss Elizabeth wrote:

One reason that comes to mind would be... it's a bug! :) Are there any examples you can send my way?

Thanks!

This response to a post on a locked topic.
You can hit "quote" and respond to it if you would like.

http://holyworlds.org/fantasy/viewtopic.php?p=204333#p204333

Actually, you can just hit LOCKED on the bottom and it opens the reply box

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I assume the topic in particular Miss Elizabeth is talking about is: http://www.holyworlds.org/fantasy/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9758

She locked it at about 4:30am CST and Domici posted a reply at 6:03am CST. I've already looked into it and it's a bug with the current install of phpBB. Testing shows it's related with the page redirect issue. I'm already looking into bug fixes. Stay tuned!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:31 am 
Captain
Captain

Amelia DeWitt wrote:
I assume the topic in particular Miss Elizabeth is talking about is: http://www.holyworlds.org/fantasy/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9758

She locked it at about 4:30am CST and Domici posted a reply at 6:03am CST. I've already looked into it and it's a bug with the current install of phpBB. Testing shows it's related with the page redirect issue. I'm already looking into bug fixes. Stay tuned!

Yes, that is where I am referencing. Thanks for looking into it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:07 am 
Editor
Editor

Chat log and private chat log are both broken for me. They don't load.

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

GUYS IMMA PUBLISHED AUTHOR *CLICK ME*
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Hitler and flamingos will always remind me of Abi.
Kya Lightwing wrote:
I think "IDK ask Gael she'd know" is the story of everyone's life... :D
The Dark Golden Dreamer wrote:
You kill people, Gael. D: How can I not die over that?
Sometimes I wonder about the reputation I have here....:rofl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lady Abigail Mimetes wrote:

Do you remember when the last time they were working was? (Just trying to pinpoint a rough timeframe of when they went "offline.")

Joel is looking into it. In the next couple of weeks we are going to launch an update that should fix a lot of issues, and will involve some patches to chat.

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:19 pm 
Writer
Writer

I can see the chat log. For one of the first times ever, it loaded on the first try too. But it loaded blank and I had to click "Next" before anything populated - but after hitting next, every day now populates correctly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:12 pm 
Honor Roll Member
Honor Roll Member

That honestly does not surprise me. :) Chat log is pretty bad (basically all of the original code, with a few modifications and a "better" GUI).

Let me know if you need any info on the code behind it, I have some limited knowledge. :)

Quote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:05 am 
Writer
Writer

Could use a way to delete my own posts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:00 am 
Editor
Editor

Lt. General Hansen wrote:
Lady Abigail Mimetes wrote:

Do you remember when the last time they were working was? (Just trying to pinpoint a rough timeframe of when they went "offline.")

Joel is looking into it. In the next couple of weeks we are going to launch an update that should fix a lot of issues, and will involve some patches to chat.

Early last year.

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

GUYS IMMA PUBLISHED AUTHOR *CLICK ME*
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Hitler and flamingos will always remind me of Abi.
Kya Lightwing wrote:
I think "IDK ask Gael she'd know" is the story of everyone's life... :D
The Dark Golden Dreamer wrote:
You kill people, Gael. D: How can I not die over that?
Sometimes I wonder about the reputation I have here....:rofl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:03 pm 
Writer
Writer

I just clicked the "Mark all read" link in the Quests folder and got an odd error.

This site can’t provide a secure connection

holyworlds.org sent an invalid response.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Hitting reload did nothing. I had to manually enter the URL to come back to HolyWorlds.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:15 pm 

Lady Sparks wrote:
I just clicked the "Mark all read" link in the Quests folder and got an odd error.

This site can’t provide a secure connection

holyworlds.org sent an invalid response.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Hitting reload did nothing. I had to manually enter the URL to come back to HolyWorlds.

It looks like the "tech team" is finally rolling out the (long-requested-on-my-part) switch to serving the forum over encrypted HTTPS instead of clear-text HTTP, but the one glitch I've noticed is that anytime there's an internal redirect (such as in the login process, following a link from a topic-reply notification email, after posting in a thread, and yes "mark all read," if I'm coming from an HTTPS page it tries to redirect me to something beginning with https://holyworlds.org:80/, which is to say HTTPS on the ordinary-HTTP port, and so I understandably get an "SSL protocol error" (the same as Lady Sparks, I expect, with any differences stemming from a different browser and different operating system). But except for one topic-reply notification email earlier today (which had https://holyworlds.org:80 URLs in it, which then redirected to other ones even after I removed the :80 ...), I've only ever seen HW over HTTPS when I've edited a URL by hand to get me there (for testing purposes and on general principles); Lady Sparks, I wonder how you got there.

(I also noticed, last time I checked a month or so ago, that there were still a few page elements included by explicitly HTTP URLs, instead of either protocol-agnostic (href="//domain.tld/path/to/object" or HTTPS-specific URLs.)

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

• Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:24 pm 
Writer
Writer

I just had the topic-reply notification email with https://holyworlds.org:80 URLs in it. Funnily, those were working for me yesterday...

Edit: and after I hit submit on this, I got redirected to that same error page. But apparently my post did actually go through.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:59 pm 
Writer
Writer

Removing the "s" from "https" let me see the note in the e-mail, and then access HW. Removing the ":80" did not.

Once in the HTTP view I can look at active topics and reply, etc. Maybe reply; if you see this it worked. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:14 pm 

Lady Sparks wrote:
I just had the topic-reply notification email with https://holyworlds.org:80 URLs in it. Funnily, those were working for me yesterday...

Edit: and after I hit submit on this, I got redirected to that same error page. But apparently my post did actually go through.

Coincidentally, the topic-reply notification of your post in this thread had such erroneous URLs. :) (But Domici's didn't. Weird. :))

The HW forum software always uses that sort of redirect after posting a reply to a topic (or editing a post, or creating a new thread, or ...), and has for a few months (since not long after the site came under new management and the code thus came back into active development). I'm more aware of this because I have the "ask me every time a site wants to redirect you" setting enabled in Firefox :). What's new is that the site is reachable using HTTPS and the redirection code adds a "port 80" specification to the redirection URLs, which is harmlessly redundant for HTTP but always an error unless you really know what you're doing for HTTPS. (So you didn't get redirected to an error page, the way some sites redirect you to a dedicated "that's not a page on our site" page when you try to visit a page that no longer exists, just to an address that your browser (sensibly) refused to open on security-misconfiguration grounds.

Domici wrote:
Removing the "s" from "https" let me see the note in the e-mail, and then access HW. Removing the ":80" did not.

In my experience, there's always been at least one redirect between the URL in a topic-reply-notification email and the actual page (as you'll notice if you ever open one in a browser where you aren't logged in to HW, since it'll make you log in before showing it). If you remove the :80 from the first URL, that redirect just adds it back. :( I expect if you kept removing it every time it appeared, you'd eventually have gotten through---but going back to HTTP is indeed the easiest workaround.

• My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:41 pm 
Writer
Writer

The http to https transition in notification e-mails just happened to me between 0928 and 0950 EST 25 Oct 2017. I usually stay logged in to HW even if not here. :)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next