Login | Register

Post subject: Nonspeculative
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:10 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
So we've got sections for fantasy, scifi, historical & nonfiction - where do we stand on the occasional writing that doesn't fit any of those categories? The stuff that doesn't really apply to Holy Worlds but we may accidentally write anyway? Take it elsewhere?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Nonspeculative
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you a published author?: Yes
While we want to keep the focus of Holy Worlds on speculative fiction--since that's the core of our vision--we still welcome anything written by our members. You are more than welcome to post about other books of yours in General Discussion. We just don't have a dedicated subforum for nonspeculative fiction, since that's not our focus.

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:52 pm 

Sex: Male
While "Lt General Hansen"'s word is final, I will add that I seem to recall a forum for "general fiction and non-fiction" where "Non-Fiction" is now back when the four forums (Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Historical, and the Citadel) merged back into one (It had a "Poetry" section, leading to some confusion between that and the then-also-new "Poetry Craft" section of "Village Lore." . Also, if you want to talk about some aspect of developing a non-speculative story, all of the rooms in the "Scholars Hall" are genre-agnostic.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:33 pm 
Writer
Writer

Lt. General Hansen wrote:
...we still welcome anything written by our members. You are more than welcome to post about other books of yours in General Discussion....

I was guessing that was so. I just wanted to confirm and also figure out where. ^_^

kingjon wrote:
....I seem to recall a forum for "general fiction and non-fiction" where "Non-Fiction" is now back when the four forums (Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Historical, and the Citadel) merged back into one....

It did occur to me that Nonfiction is not speculative & historical needs a alternative-history-twist to make it speculative. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:47 am 

Sex: Male
Lady Sparks wrote:
It did occur to me that Nonfiction is not speculative & historical needs a alternative-history-twist to make it speculative. ;)

If I remember correctly, the explanation (or justification) at the time that the Historical Fiction forum was set up (before it was merged back in :/) was that (in addition to encompassing a speculative subgenre genre and being a genre that several of the most active members of the forum primarily wrote in) even in its non-speculative forms historical fiction requires the same sorts of "worldbuilding" as science fiction and fantasy. (For example, even with an unlimited budget you can't just take a trip to ancient Rome to find out how something worked :).)

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile