Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Basic Essence Definition
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:14 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
Greetings,

This is a simple, basic outline of what essence is. The purpose is to help you to better understand what is going on so that you can dig further into the power of essence mapping. This is only a bird's eye view of the subject, so it should be easy to follow.

Everything has an essence. Everything has always had an essence. Everything has its own essence. And everyone perceives that essence in a different way from everyone else.

Whenever we see, hear of, or read about something, we immediately attach to it a load of connotations that we normally associate with that thing. That load is its essence as perceived by us. Everything has a range of different essences that different people might apply to it.

If we wanted to make sure that someone is perceiving the same essence that we are, we run into difficulties. The different things that people have done to overcome these difficulties have a very wide and diverse range of variety.

We have added one. And we like it.

Remember, everything has an essence. We have not invented essence. We have merely invented a new way of telling other people about what we perceive a thing's essence to be like.

The basic principle underlying most, if not all, of the ways of articulating essence that are out there, is simple.

You list several things, hoping that in their conjunction people will see what you are getting at.

So if I have a red background, and then I put a knife on it, most people will probably think of murder. If I put a rose on it, however, most people will probably think of love.

Now, if I put that same knife on a fish, people will think either of dinner, or of endangered species. Hopefully not the latter.

If I put the rose on a piano, people might think of a concert, if on a coffin, they will think of death or a funeral. Etc.

Movies, pictures, poetry, and books all try to use many different things put together to convey an emotion or an idea into you without actually spelling it out. Sometimes it would be easier to just spell it out, but they want to hide it and be more artistic. Other times it is just plain impossible to spell it out.

Our system of essence mapping that has so befuddled so many people is very simple in principle: we are merely listing different things in a tidy way to help them all tell you an idea of the essence of something in a very efficient way.

Just a list.

That is all.

Just an essence.

Does that help?

P.S. We tested this explanation by giving it to a 10-year-old to read. She understood it, so if you don't get it, we can make fun of you. Just kidding! :)

Dragon Egg

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Last edited by Duchess Daisy Mimetes on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Changed title

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Basic Essence Primer (basic)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Oh, thank you! I think that I am actually starting to understand it now. :D

Eyia roi t'Ederliiamor...

Ey rone roi t'Arienh....

Elestar

Elestar
Greywolf
Lady Elodie

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:41 am 

Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:
P.S. We tested this explanation by giving it to a 10-year-old to read. She understood it, so if you don't get it, we can make fun of you. Just kidding! :)

Hehe! Too bad we haven't had a chance to carry out our awful threat yet... :( :D

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, And with my song [and my writing] I will praise Him." Psalm 28:7

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:28 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Is there a way that we can 'mess up' essences? I mean, what if your thoughts on the essence of a rose are different than mine? Is it totally up to the writer or is there a set list?

eruheran

P.S. If you want to carry out your threat on me...I'm probably a good candidate...and I'm sixteen. One smart ten year old...

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:18 pm 

Eruheran, there are no "wrong" answers in Essence, from my understanding of it. It is simply your impression of the rose, or whatever you are "essence-ing". Nobody is right, and nobody is wrong. That makes it a whole lot easier. :)

2 Corinthians 3:17 ~ Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

eleutheria - Greek for liberty

My blog:
http://exhortationsbyelizabeth.blogspot.com
A fan of my book?
http://facebook.com/wingstrilogy/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:10 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Are you a published author?: No
Eruheran, Lady Eruwaedhiel is right. Basically each thing has one essence, that's what a thing IS. But it also has an almost unlimited number of meta-esssences. These are the perceptions each person has of an essence, and because each person has a different perspective, everything has one meta-essence for each person on earth. So what we are mapping in an essence map is really our perception of the thing's essence. Make sense?

"I think armpit hair's pretty intimate!" - Roager

"I am so glad I'm getting locked in the basement today." - Airianna Valenshia

"You are the laughter I forgot how to make." - Calista Beth

"Sorry, I was busy asphyxiating Mama R." - Seer

"I'm a man of many personalities, but tell you what? They're all very fond of you." - Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls Online

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:37 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

OK, I'm starting to get it. What I don't get is how it's all connected to a programming type of thing? Is that for ease of writing it down? I'm just confused about all of that (And I don't even want to begin to figure out X++...please don't tell us about that, Jay, until I've at least sorted through the basic stuff! :D)

eruheran

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

The syntax is similar to several computer languages. If you don't know programming you don't need to bother about it. :)

Glad you are getting it!

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:45 pm 

eruheran wrote:
One smart ten year old...

:D Yep, she's my sister. hehe. ;)

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, And with my song [and my writing] I will praise Him." Psalm 28:7

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Basic Essence Definition
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:35 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

*sigh of relief* I think I am, after much confusion, finally starting to know what essence is. Essence is our interpretations of something, such as a picture? Like if I saw a guitar, I would think of music? Or if a picture of a mug with steaming hot liquid inside, I would think of hot chocolate first, while someone else might think of tea? It still find it confusing, so if this is completely wrong feel free to straighten me out!

Devote yourselves to prayer so that your conversations may be full of grace
and seasoned with salt, with the purpose of glorifying Christ Jesus in everything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:28 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Yep! Looks like you're going in the right direction!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:54 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

That looks good, Mae :)

eru

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:53 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:
Yep! Looks like you're going in the right direction!

Good to know! :D

Devote yourselves to prayer so that your conversations may be full of grace
and seasoned with salt, with the purpose of glorifying Christ Jesus in everything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:00 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I attempted my own definition of essence, as I understand it, over at my blog. If you're interested, here's a link:

Woven Glass: Defining Essence :book:

Andrew

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]