Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What is Essence??
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:39 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Location: The Running Rivers, Tall Forests, and Mighty Mountains of the Northwest
Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
I'll have to post an essence soon, I guess! :o

Redemption is to be purchased, to have a price paid. So I was redeemed from my master sin, and from justice, which demanded my death. For He paid the price of sin by becoming sin, and met the demands of justice by dying for us.

For all men have a master. But a man cannot have two masters. For he will love one and hate the other. You cannot serve God and sin. So I die to the old, as He died, and I am resurrected to the new, as He was resurrected.

Note: Ebed is Hebrew for bondsman, Eleutheros is Greek for unrestrained (not a slave).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What is Essence??
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:56 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Are you a published author?: Yes
Neil of Erk wrote:
I'll have to post an essence soon, I guess! :o

Yup. :)

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What is Essence?? (BASIC ESSENCE)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:57 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Neil of Erk wrote:
About Elements, in you sister's posts, is she placing reference-Elements inside of single quotation marks instead of parentheses? If so, then I think I've figured Elements out as well!

OK, I just thought I had figured most of this stuff out when along comes Neil...of Erk, and totally messes me up! :D Thanks a lot! What are reference-elements? Are they a reference from another part of the essence into another? How do you write them? Single quotation marks?

eruheran

P.S. If I'm using this system of White Raven's and her mom's:
SUBJECT
ASPECT {Qualifier [Characteristic (metaphor)]}

Where does a reference element come in? I thought metaphors were supposed to be in parentheses? Aaargh! ;)

P.S.S. Colors look really nice on this forum theme, Jay! :D

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:13 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

A reference element isn't really that important, especially when you are just beginning. Basically it is a type of metaphor. :)

I am knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order, and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.

Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:10 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
I think I've got an idea of what a reference metaphor is, but could you explain it?

I've been wondering if there is a way to designate factual elements from metaphorical elements in my essence maps. (If not, I'll make up my own. :D) Basically, I'm looking for a way to store factual information alongside metaphorical information in the same essence map, with some way of visually distinguishing between the two. Is this what reference metaphors are used for?

~ Evensong

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:47 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Evening L. Aspen wrote:
I think I've got an idea of what a reference metaphor is, but could you explain it?

I've been wondering if there is a way to designate factual elements from metaphorical elements in my essence maps. (If not, I'll make up my own. :D) Basically, I'm looking for a way to store factual information alongside metaphorical information in the same essence map, with some way of visually distinguishing between the two. Is this what reference metaphors are used for?

~ Evensong

Wellll.... you got two things there. Reference metaphors are referring to something not described in the essence map, like a location, person, movie, song, picture, etc.

What you want is actually something that we implemented in ECSS++, called keywords. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:33 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Female
Ah... I guess I've got to learn about these keyword thingies. Thanks for clarifying. :D

~ Evensong

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:02 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Evening L. Aspen wrote:
Ah... I guess I've got to learn about these keyword thingies. Thanks for clarifying. :D

~ Evensong

You can use them now by including them as the content of an element and embedding it into the attribute that you are wanting to specify. Like so:

Breath {

[<CONCRETE> <a harsh desert wind>]
[<ABSTRACT> <black/putrefied red>]
[<ALLEGORICAL> <scraping the foundations from beneath a temple>]

}

Those are the three keywords that do what you are talking about. There is a special place for using them like that in ECSS++ that isn't in ECSSbasic, but that is how you can use them with what you have.

Basically you wrap both in a bare attribute (as in it has no name) so that they are siblings, and then put the two elements next to each other so that the keyword only affects the particular element that it should.

Did that make sense?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2