Login | Register

Post subject: Wonder Woman
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
Who's seen it, who wants to see it? :D

I didn't go into this film with any sort of expectations. I like superhero movies for the fun, adventure, and flashy effects. If a movie entertains me for a few hours, I'll rate it favorably, even if it was a bit corny. It has to be really, really terrible for me to hate it. So while I'll acknowledge that BvS and Suicide Squad aren't great movies from a craft standpoint, I didn't hate-hate them.

But Wonder Woman was advertised as a "good" movie in terms of craft, and I have to say, now that I've seen it, I agree. It had a few corny moments, but nothing more than what you'd expect in a classic, flashy superhero movie. It was overall well-paced and well-written, with some great characters and humor. It was a solid, logical (within universe) origin story.

But I also really appreciated that they used art to sell their message of "woman power," instead of resorting to big talk and men-bashing. A lot of "movies with a message" spend a lot of screen-time giving sermons, or they push their agenda by bashing the alternative. When it comes to empowering women (or really, any group of people), doing so by devaluing men (or any other group) is dangerous, especially from a Christian standpoint. (If you want to think of it in the broad terms of sexism, misogynists get their superiority by putting down women; if women do the same thing, they are no better.) Plus, it just makes for a lame movie. But Wonder Woman didn't waste time speechifying and moaning about how men are stupid and ugly and we don't need them. Instead, they had an excellently-crafted plot, and Wonder Woman made her point by getting up and doing what no one else would, several times. It was extremely well-done from both a message and a craft standpoint, and I really enjoyed it.

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wonder Woman
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:25 pm 
Writer
Writer

Are you a published author?: No
Haven't seen it yet but I'm looking forward to it and that's good to hear. Hubby and I were rather disappointed with Guardians but then, we didn't care for the first one as much as most people seem to either...

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:27 pm 
Captain
Captain

I wasn't going to go and watch it, as I didn't expect to like it and didn't want to spend the money at the cinema. However, my Mother randomly asked me if I wanted to see it one night, and encouraged me to go as she thought it was something that I'd enjoy.

I was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was nothing like I expected it to be, but well worth watching.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 pm 
Writer
Writer

This reminds me Hubby & I did go see it a few weeks ago. And I loved it. Especially the big showdown at the end - I love when a movie takes me by surprise.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:01 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Wonder Woman was something else. My wife and I agreed it was a thoroughly good film, and I know at least two women who were particularly giddy about it in a way that I do not quite get as a man.
Since I've watched and read stories since I was small about men getting up and doing something about a problem, I suppose I am very used to it. I guess it was possibly the first time they had got to see a movie in which a woman acted independently not just of men but of other people, without so much acting against them or in spite of them, to do what was right to help other people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:43 pm 
Writer
Writer

I read an article about how apparently women across the country are crying during the movie and while I didn't cry, I did feel a thrill that I couldn't define until I read the article. I don't agree with all of the article but I especially liked this quote:

Quote:
When the film reaches peak action and the lead actor, the director, and everyone involved are clearly hitting the high-octane scenes with everything they've got, eschewing sexy shots for powerful ones and holding absolutely nothing back, it's hard not to see it all as a heartfelt victory.

Not only did this female superhero film get made... but when it comes to intense action scenes, the film does not hold back in a way that others may have with a female lead. And sure, it feels odd to call a moment that involves countless broken bad guy bones and piles of rubble magical, but there are so many implications and emotions built into the experience of these scenes — namely, that female viewers are feeling heard and seen by the Hollywood powers that be in a way that is incredibly rare. Representation — in this case, the kind that so many women have craved since they became superhero fans as kids — is magical, full stop.

Online Profile