Login | Register

Post subject: Authorish quirks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:23 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
Hi writer friends! I've been realizing a couple of strange things I do as an author, and thought I'd share them here for your amusement.

- Referencing my stories. Whether it's a whole sentence or just the word "Coffee" said in the right voice, I do find myself quoting my stories in public. Obviously no one gets my reference, but I make myself happy.

- This isn't exactly a quirk, but for the longest time I've wanted to have a character named Frank. He'd probably just be a minor character, but every time he would say something, he would begin with, "Well, frankly," or "To be frank with you," etc. In reality it would probably be annoying but the thought of it makes me laugh.

- My characters become adverbs and adjectives. Oftentimes my characters are dimensions of my personality. This means that at times I'll realize that I was doing something very Nickishly or think a very Rosemary-like thought or feel very Nolan-y.

That's all I can think of right now. Do you do guys do these things? What are your particular author quirks? :cool:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Authorish quirks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you a published author?: Yes
#writerproblems ;)

I used to say "For all of Alaidia," which was a made-up country in one of my books... and then I revised the book, and that country doesn't even exist at all anymore... so it makes even less sense than before. :rofl:

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:34 am 
Writer
Writer

:salute: Writer's quirks? Oh, you mean like having a ongoing mental commentary with my characters about everything I do? Normal people don't do that?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:23 pm 
Writer
Writer

Gailius wrote:
- This isn't exactly a quirk, but for the longest time I've wanted to have a character named Frank. He'd probably just be a minor character, but every time he would say something, he would begin with, "Well, frankly," or "To be frank with you," etc. In reality it would probably be annoying but the thought of it makes me laugh.

I think that sounds hysterical. Especially if he was completely oblivious to it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:05 pm 
Editor
Editor

Gailius wrote:
Referencing my stories. Whether it's a whole sentence or just the word "Coffee" said in the right voice, I do find myself quoting my stories in public. Obviously no one gets my reference, but I make myself happy.

Oh wow I do this too. I thought I was alone. XD And yep to the adverbifying (not actually a word) characters as well.

I have voices for all my characters, and sometimes I'll go around talking in them, and people look at me funny. :bawl: I also act scenes out to get the physicality down. Always awkward when other people are around. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:44 am 
Writer
Writer

Kya Lightwing wrote:
I have voices for all my characters, and sometimes I'll go around talking in them, and people look at me funny. :bawl: I also act scenes out to get the physicality down. Always awkward when other people are around. ;)

:rofl: I love that, Kya. When writing, I'll find myself making the facial expressions that my characters are making, but I don't go all out acting mode. Sounds like fun. ;)

Offline Profile