Login | Register

Post subject: Starmap creation software recommendations?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:30 pm 

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
Does anyone know of any good, not too expensive, software for creating a fictional starmap?

For "regular" maps, while I still haven't found something that has all of the features that I want, let alone has all of my desired features and won't require me to stretch my budget, there are dozens of programs that are at least minimally suitable. For starmaps, however, pretty much all I've been able to find is software to explore or produce maps of the stars that actually exist in our sky, with no features useful for an author whose stories have a setting other than present-day Earth.

But some of my fellow worldbuilders might have had better success in their searches than I. Do any of you have any recommendations?

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Starmap creation software recommendations?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:13 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
What do you think of the possibilities googling "starmap generator" reveals?

Personally, I've never used one. (Actually, I've never considering the night sky in my world building, though in retrospect is seems... obvious. Thanks for making me consider stars.) Creating constellations, the traditions surrounding them, and their rotational positioning in the sky would suffice for all story needs, surely?

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "Plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope." --Jeremiah 29:11

Tumblr: http://curlyhumility.tumblr.com

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:18 pm 

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
KathrineROID wrote:
What do you think of the possibilities googling "starmap generator" reveals?

Like I said, that gives me large numbers of sites about creating star charts (etc.) from various existing catalogs of stars in our sky.

KathrineROID wrote:
Creating constellations, the traditions surrounding them, and their rotational positioning in the sky would suffice for all story needs, surely?

Actually, that's an entirely different tack from what I want; for those purposes pencil and paper, or the simplest paint or vector-drawing program, would suffice. Instead of mapping the stars and constellations that terrestrial peoples would navigate by, I want to map the stars that spacefaring, interstellar, civilizations would navigate among.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:04 am 
Captain
Captain

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
http://www.nbos.com/products/astrosynthesis

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/s ... ftware.php

Seems like astrosynthesis is the most recommended everywhere, but of course you have to buy it.

This describes doing it yourself with graph software...

http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... verse-maps

I've never used any of these.

Offline Profile