Login | Register

Post subject: On reading Non-fiction vs. Fiction
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:30 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
I think most would agree that reading a lot is important for a writer. I know some say that you shouldn't read many other books as it will taint your unique style. I've never seen the sense in this line of thought as pretty much every author of any note reads a tremendous amount and recommends it to young writers.

I've always been a reader. Not on the scale of some people. (I usually read around 100 books in a year.) I used to read pretty much nothing but fiction, but in the past couple of years I've started reading more memoirs/autobiographies.

I've come to the conclusion that reading books about real events by people (many of which who not professional writers), is extremely useful for material for writers.

My favorites are memoirs about certain events such as a journal about going on the Oregon Trail. Or the life a soldier during The Civil War. I find I like these better than autobiographies and biographies.

Has anyone else been a fan of non-fiction? Anyone have recommendations? I'm always looking for good books by real people about real events. Some I can recommend would be:
The Story of a Common Soldier of Army Life in the Civil War by Leander Stillwell
Sailing Alone around the World by Joshua Slocum
Geronimo: His Own Story
Around the World in Seventy-Two Days by Nellie Bly

Filmmaker, artist, world builder extraordinaire!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: On reading Non-fiction vs. Fiction
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:26 pm 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: No
I just recently read The Poisoners Handbook by Deborah Blum - it was a fascinating look at the beginnings of forensic science in the USA.

My dad recently gave me Diamond: The History of a Cold-Blooded Love Affair by Matthew Hart which I am considering reading.

It might seem odd but I really enjoy Don't Shoot, It's Only Me by Bob Hope - I tend to enjoy his books but this one especially is an interesting perspective during WWII.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: On reading Non-fiction vs. Fiction
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
I am trying to make an effort to read more nonfiction (outside of what is assigned for school), but mainly because I want the instruction/edification/knowledge, not necessarily to benefit my writing skill. (Although, I know it will have that side-effect.)

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Offline Profile